DeWitt Community Library Materials Donation Policy
The DeWitt Community Library appreciates your donations of new or gently used materials. Items may be added to the collection if they satisfy our Collection Development Policy criteria; most donations are sorted and placed in the Library’s Book Sale to support Library services and programs.
The Library accepts the following types of materials:
- Books (fiction and non-fiction hardcover and paperback, large print books, children’s books)
- Audio CDs and books on CD and tape, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs
- Console games
- Other items of local, historical interest (please call ahead)
The Library does not accept these types of materials:
- Dated material (e.g., almanacs, computer books, buying guides, directories)
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Magazines and newspapers
- VHS tapes
All donated materials must be in good condition
- We do not accept musty, mildewed, stained or discolored items
- All materials must be complete and intact
How to donate
- If you have less than two boxes of materials (with dimensions no larger than 9” x 17” x 11”),
you may drop them off at the Library Front Desk anytime during Library hours.*
*Please note: due to the large number of donated items we receive, we occasionally have to suspend the acceptance of book donations for a short period of time. We recommend calling in advance to verify the Library’s donation status.
- If you have more than two boxes of materials, please call the Library in advance; large donations will be accepted if the Library has available storage and processing space
- Please note: All materials must be brought to the Library; we cannot pick up materials from another location.
Are donations tax-deductible?
The DeWitt Community Library is a 501c (3) non-profit organization, donations to which are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law. The Library will provide you with an Item Donation Form detailing your donations. We cannot assess the value of these items, however.
If you have questions or have more than two boxes of materials to donate, please contact:
Brian Abbott, Librarian Assistant
DeWitt Community Library