If you ever wanted to find out what Netflix is all about, now is your chance! Netflix streaming accounts purchased by the library will be available to check out on Roku streaming devices. If you have a TV and wireless network in your home, just plug in the Roku to your TV, connect it to your wi-fi and start watching Netflix content.
Netflix has many popular and independent movies as well as TV shows and kids content as well. You can search for a specific title or browse through the categories on the Netflix home screen. Catch up on past seasons of your favorite shows or discover your next favorite movie with Netflix streaming available on the Roku at the Dewitt Community Library.
Along with Netflix, the Roku has 25 other channels with some free content including news, fitness, science, and kids channels. See the full list below.
Roku streaming video devices go out for one week. You must be 18 or older with a DeWitt library card in good standing with less than $15.00 in fines and fees. There are no renewals or holds for the Roku streaming video devices.
CLICK HERE to see if there are any rokus available now.
*You need a hi-speed WiFi connection to the Internet to use Netflix with the Library's Roku devices.*
- Plug the AC Power cable into the back of the Roku box and a wall plug. There is no on/off switch on the Roku box. If it is plugged in, it is on. There is a small light on the front that indicates it is on.
- If you have an HD TV with at least one HDMI port, plug the HDMI cable into the Roku box and your TV.
If your TV does not have an HDMI port, insert the yellow/white/red connectors on one end of the A/V cable into the video and audio IN ports on your TV. Insert the connectors into the ports on the back of the Roku box.
- Turn your TV on and select the proper video port as the input “source” for your TV. This usually involves using the input button and arrow keys on the TV remote or on the side or bottom of the TV.
- Use the Roku remote to connect to your home Wi-Fi internet connection.
From the TV screen, go to the Settings menu and select Network.
Follow the prompts to connect to your home Wi-Fi.
Enter a password if your home Wi-Fi requires it.
- Use the Roku Remote to select a channel and watch.
Other than your home Wi-Fi password, do not enter any of your personal account information into any of the channels, as it will not be cleared when you return it. Do not attempt to add or remove any channels. The library is providing a Netflix subscription; the other channels on the Roku box have some free content. Please enjoy the free content and do not attempt to purchase any of the offered pay-per-view content on this device.
Netflix content may not be appropriate for everyone, parental and personal discretion is advised.
Channel List (courtesy of Liverpool Public Library)
Movies & TV: (The list as of March 2014)
- Netflix - instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix.
- Crackle It's On - FREE Movies on Demand: Uncut and Unedited. Crackle delivers full-length Hollywood movies and TV series in the genres you care about most: Action, comedy, crime, horror, thriller and sci-fi.
- PBS - Content as on the PBS.org website.
- PBS Kids - Content as on the Kids section of the PBS.org website.
- Crunchyroll - Watch the latest Anime direct from Japan and Dramas from Asia! Crunchyroll is your official source for full-length episodes and movies of the very best in Anime and Asian entertainment. All content is licensed and CR supports your favorite artists.
- Manga - Free Anime Channel by Starz
- PopcornFlix - Popcornflix has full-length movies that will make you laugh, make you cry, scare the heck out of you, or inspire you to hug the person you love. We have compelling documentaries, foreign films, unique original web series, and a place that showcases the brightest film makers of tomorrow.
- Smithsonian Channel - Watch full episodes and short videos from Smithsonian Channel's vast library of shows about everything from space exploration to world history and wild animals to popular music
- SnagFilms - From famous music documentaries and fascinating personalities to deep, dark political conspiracies and compelling human drama
- Disney - Experience the magic of Disney anytime! Rock out to Music Videos and laugh along to Clips from your favorite Disney Stars. See what TV shows and movies are Coming Soon
- OpenFilm - Openfilm.com is a high-quality video sharing website exclusive to independent film and video. On the Openfilm Roku channel you will find work from the best in independent film and the most promising up and coming talent.
- Pandora - Pandora's world of analyzed music, almost a century of popular recordings - new and old, well known and obscure - lets you enjoy old favorites and discover new ones.
- Audio Crush - The best music outlet featuring live performances, documentaries and rare interviews of your favorite artists such as Michael Jackson, Radiohead, Beyonce, U2 & more...
News and Weather:
- Fox News Channel - Watch streaming coverage of the day's top stories from FoxNews.com Live, plus news video on topics from Entertainment to Politics, and clips from all your favorite Fox News Channel shows.
- NBC News - Explore world-class video from NBC News and MSNBC. Get the latest clips about the most important news from shows such as Nightly News, TODAY, Meet the Press, Morning Joe and The Rachel Maddow Show.
- WSJ Live - Wall Street Journal. Immediate and relevant, WSJ Live brings influencers and decision-makers live news and on-demand video directly from 2000+ reporters across the globe.
- Weather Underground - Weather information including current conditions, forecast, satellite, radar, weather warnings, and web cams
Science and Technology:
- CNET - CNET is coming straight to you with all the tech shows, gadget reviews, and event coverage you live for. CNET stars, including Brian Cooley, Molly Wood, Brian Tong and Sharon Vaknin, reveal tech secrets you've never dreamed of, and CNET's many experts serve up everything you need to know to get the most out of tech. CNET helps you use technology to enhance and enrich your life. From specially curated content, to advice and exclusive deals for Roku members, it includes what you need to buy and get the most out of tech that’s right for you
- MIT OpenCourseware - Free lectures from MIT OpenCourseware.
- NASA TV - Live, real-time coverage of activities and missions.
- Revision3 - Revision3 creates entertaining and informative programs about technology, movies, music, news, culture and video games. Our daily shows cover everything from the latest games and gadgets to the funniest YouTube videos and the top stories on Digg.
- TED - TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. On this channel, you'll find TEDTalks video to inspire, intrigue and stir the imagination from some of the world's leading thinkers and doers, speaking from the stage at TED conferences, TEDx events and partner events around the world.
- AllFitnessTV - Get ready for a total body overhaul with the exciting 24/7, FREE streaming fitness channel. With a vast library of quality fitness workout programs, this engaging on-demand service gives you the most popular workout trends, categories and genres!
- LiveExercise - Liveexercise.com offers "live" and On Demand workout shows almost every day of the week. Forget the guesswork, get great results by turning on a show and following along. Find amazing workouts available for almost every goal, from Pilates to Football training.
- YogaVibes - Stream classes with Yogavibes. Go ahead, unroll your mat. Sweat. Unwind. Welcome to your new favorite studio.
- AllRecipes.com - Cooking videos and award-winning web shows from Allrecipes.com, the world's number 1 food site!